martes, 26 de junio de 2007

Entry nº 34

Review: My fair lady

After have read the play Pygmalion, when I watched the screen adaptation My fair lady I saw apart from a few slight differences, an importan change in the end of the film.
In the play as well as in the film, Bernard Shaw shows a relationship between a young lady, Eliza Doolittle, that has very clear her value as a woman and an old bachelor, Professor Henry Higgins, who thinks that all women except his mother are thoughtless creatures.
It is rather difficult fo believe, at least for me, that a relationship between these two characters would have the happy ending that is shown in the film, because he is not able to treating her with the respect she deserves.
So that I personally agree with the end of the play, when she leaves him and gets married with a young man that is in love with her, Freddy. In my opinion this end is more likely to have happened in real life.
In what refers to the actors` performance, I enjoyed the film very much because each character was interpreted exactly as I had imagined them when I read the play. I especially enjoyed the performance of the actress that characterized Eliza, and the actors that performed the characters of Prof. Higgins and Alfred Doolittle (Eliza`s father).
And in what respect to the musical performance, I loved the songs because of their rhythm and their lyrics, most of them were funny and easy to remember.
The customs used in the film were also remarkable, especially the dresses and hats of the women at the horse race that showed the materialism and ostentation in the Victorian period, as well as the clothes worn by the actress who characterised Eliza after and before her transformation from a flowe girl to seem a duchess.

No hay comentarios: